Author Topic: Autonomous Combat League  (Read 3165 times)

PressureLine

• XFM Developer
  • Administrator
  • Experienced Member
    • View Profile
    • Rawbots Club Forums
Autonomous Combat League
« on: March 16, 2016, 10:13:13 am »
Welcome to the Autonomous Combat League!

This thread is dedicated to battles between autonomous bots in Rawbots. It is intended to be a fun and friendly competition between bots and bot builders while providing a bit of spectacle to the Rawbots Club community. Building and programming an autonomous bot requires a fairly high level of effort, so be respectful to your fellow Rawboticists and above all have fun!

Competition/Construction Rules:
  • One Flux Capacitor per Plasma Cannon
  • Grenades may only be activated once per launch and must be carried on the bot when it is spawned from the blueprint.
  • Bind a key to start/stop the drive, weapons and aiming systems (use ‘X’)
  • Link a ‘spare’ Continuum to the rest of the bot via code (the ‘highlight’ color input is a good way to do this) so that the Continuums can be connected together to start all the bots simultaneously. Make it obvious which Continuum is the ‘spare’ one.
  • No Hypercube/Hypercannon weapons (possibly subject to revision if someone can come up with a convincing reason to allow them)
  • Some arenas may not have detectable floors, please make cliff/edge detection systems on/off-able.
  • Ensure your bots are capable of reliably driving up and down ramps without assistance.
  • Flying/Hovering bots should remain within the confines (vertically AND laterally) of the arena. Going out of the top of the arena by a little bit is no big deal, but no flying way out of the arena to make an attack run.
  • An entry may consist of several separate bots that may operate individually or co-operatively.
    • The entry must consist of a single blueprint
    • The total part count of all of the bots in the entry determine the weight class (see the Classes section below)
  • Make note of any special conditions with using your bot (keep these to a minimum!)

Classes:
To counter the trend towards increasing bot sizes and combat power it has been decided to class ACL bots by partcount:
  • Parts used to: Connect different sections of a multi-part bot, provide altitude control or provide central on/off control are not counted towards the part limit.
  • Lightweight: <=25 parts
  • Middleweight: 26-50 parts
  • Heavyweight: 51-75 parts
  • Unlimited: >75 parts
  • Unlimited class bots may also include bots which don’t comply with some of the other rules.

Suggestions:
  • Give your bot a name. It is much easier to refer to a bot called “Buzzcut” then “PressureLine’s bot with the laser saw.”
  • Choose a color. The ‘color_a’ of Floaters and ‘highlight’ of Continuums are good part choices for making your bot visually distinctive.
  • It is recommended to use a drive system that tracks targets to maximise time spent in actual combat.

Creating Arenas:
  • Outer walls should be at least 3 hexes higher than the lowest point in the arena.
  • Ensure any switches or buttons are protected from the battle area to prevent accidental activation/deactivation.
  • Please note if the arena contains cliffs or other areas where bots can fall and be overturned.
  • Large amounts of grass can cause slowdowns, use it as a garnish only.
  • Bots cannot detect Lava or Ice separately from Earth/Metal. Use caution when placing these hexes in your arenas.

Running battles:
  • Download and use XFM v0.5, a mod that contains various fixes and rebalancing to make combat more interesting, as well as the addition of inverse trig functions (which will cause the game to crash if used on an version of Rawbots which does not have the functions availible)
  • Simply download the bots and the arenas, set up the battle and press Go!
  • Take pictures and videos, write battle reports and review competitors.
  • A bot is classed as destroyed when it is no longer capable of taking active offensive action (eg an immobilised melee bot, a grenade launching bot that is out of ammo etc)

It is probably worth keeping this thread for entry announcements and results discussions. Please use the Combat Bot Workshop thread for discussing the construction and programming of competing bots (feel free to debate the merits [or otherwise] of bots and arenas here though).

*edit* 28/03/16 - Change to weight class rules
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 05:26:48 am by PressureLine »
"Never assume that anything you've never seen before is benign. Most particularly not something that says 'MARINES' on it."

PressureLine

• XFM Developer
  • Administrator
  • Experienced Member
    • View Profile
    • Rawbots Club Forums
Re: Autonomous Combat League
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 10:15:30 am »
Unlimited and Legacy Bots:

A listing of combat bots built with over 75 parts, and bots that otherwise do not fit into the construction rules as laid out above. Please be aware that the 'Legacy' bots may not work all that well in Rawbots + XFM 0.5 due to changes in flux capacitor recharge times, and other changes to cameras and hooks.

Unlimited: >75 parts

Legacy
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 04:17:05 am by PressureLine »
"Never assume that anything you've never seen before is benign. Most particularly not something that says 'MARINES' on it."

PressureLine

• XFM Developer
  • Administrator
  • Experienced Member
    • View Profile
    • Rawbots Club Forums
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 10:19:34 am »
Competition Entries:

A listing of combat bots by class:

Lightweight: <=25 parts
Middleweight: 26-50 parts

Heavyweight: 51-75 parts
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 01:18:07 pm by PressureLine »

PressureLine

• XFM Developer
  • Administrator
  • Experienced Member
    • View Profile
    • Rawbots Club Forums
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 12:25:09 pm by PressureLine »

MarvinMan

• Automation Expert
  • Experienced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 02:19:13 pm »
It's great to have the ACL officially running again. I'll claim blue again as my team colour.

Here's my old combat bot, probably still valid for light or middle weight. Does have non-standard enable controls (g and h for drive and weapons). It was the original proof of concept bot, and by the end of the last ACL round it was entirely outclassed by everything else around. Should still make a lightweight decent target for tuning new bot designs.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lgkm5u73wdo35kl/bp_autoX3?dl=0

This is my original arena, with 6 starting garages and a central platform.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hkxm8qur4sh1o5g/arena.zip?dl=0

This is a new arena "The triangle", designed for 3 players with a raised region in the centre.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dmv8l4pjlsqd2fj/acl.zip?dl=0

z26

• Experienced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 07:29:30 pm »
Hi, so this also is the discussion thead about anything acl related, not only important stuff like bot registration right?

also, "Some arenas may not have detectable floors, please make cliff/edge detection systems on/off-able."

Does that still apply now that energy bridges are attachable by hooks?  I guess there are niche cases like small floor holes or continuum platforms, but these aren't frequent.

PressureLine

• XFM Developer
  • Administrator
  • Experienced Member
    • View Profile
    • Rawbots Club Forums
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 08:48:08 pm »
Hi, so this also is the discussion thead about anything acl related, not only important stuff like bot registration right?

Yep, but I will start up a workshop topic to talk about bot building and coding.

also:

Code: [Select]
"Some arenas may not have detectable floors, please make cliff/edge detection systems on/off-able."
Does that still apply now that energy bridges are attachable by hooks?  I guess there are niche cases like small floor holes or continuum platforms, but these aren't frequent.

Not really applicable now, but in all that recycled text I was bound to miss something right?

edit: also put MarvinMan's bot and arenas in the directory posts :)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 08:54:25 pm by PressureLine »

MarvinMan

• Automation Expert
  • Experienced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 09:15:50 pm »
I've been working on a new navigation system as my old bot (and several others) was rather slow. This one won't get stuck in tight corners, and can drive up and down ramps. It can't detect if its about to drive off a cliff though, to the original arena could cause problems without a self-righting system.

Hopefully I should be able to add a weapons system soon to turn it into a fully functional combat bot.

z26

• Experienced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 09:38:38 pm »
so it can both assess the horizontal and vertical slope of whatever surface in front of him? clever.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 09:43:07 pm by z26000 »

MarvinMan

• Automation Expert
  • Experienced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2016, 09:51:56 pm »
The lower hooks are used for navigation as normal, and the bot tries to keep a distance of about 25 between the hook and the wall.

If there's a difference of more than ~1.5 between the top and bottom measurements, it can see a ramp and it ignores the distance readings from the bottom hooks.

The elbows oscillate to scan an area in front of the bot, so the upper hooks need to move with them.

PressureLine

• XFM Developer
  • Administrator
  • Experienced Member
    • View Profile
    • Rawbots Club Forums
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2016, 03:45:23 am »
I've come up with a design that will be an entrant in the 'Lightweight' class, which I will also try to convert into a 2-bot middleweight entry.

MarvinMan

• Automation Expert
  • Experienced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2016, 08:38:03 am »
I'm aiming for the lightweight class too with my current design. The prototype will use plasma cannons, but I'm working on shrinking my grenade cannon down to a usable size.

Using plasma cannons as a propulsion source for grenades seemed like a good idea, but it also activates their cooldown timer.

Here's my grenade cannon with a 6 round autoloader. It's ripped straight out of my amphibious tank and had to be supported with hooks, so it will spawn one hex above the floor of a blueshift map. Press A to fire, and hold R until the blue light comes on to reload.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ztc3ojvuldg6byo/bp_g_gun?dl=0
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 10:20:07 am by MarvinMan »

PressureLine

• XFM Developer
  • Administrator
  • Experienced Member
    • View Profile
    • Rawbots Club Forums
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2016, 11:10:58 am »
Figured it was about time I had a play around with the big terrain hexes :)

MarvinMan

• Automation Expert
  • Experienced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2016, 11:24:10 am »
That looks like a pretty evil test of a bots navigation abilities.

My combat bot is slowly getting there. So far I've had it pursuing a pressuretank around the map, but it still needs a bit of work to make the target following and navigation systems interact properly.

PressureLine

• XFM Developer
  • Administrator
  • Experienced Member
    • View Profile
    • Rawbots Club Forums
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2016, 11:25:28 am »

It is a brutal close combat arena, make sure your bot can flip back onto it's wheels (or like Tumbler is invertable)