Author Topic: Autonomous Combat League  (Read 3168 times)

PressureLine

• XFM Developer
  • Administrator
  • Experienced Member
    • View Profile
    • Rawbots Club Forums
Re: Autonomous Combat League - Blizzard
« Reply #90 on: April 09, 2016, 01:48:27 am »
New middleweight competitor!

Blizzard

Weighing in at 49 parts, Blizzard is a middleweight Grenade Shooter capable of tracking and engaging both ground based and aerial opponents.

Get Blizzard here.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 02:22:05 am by PressureLine »
"Never assume that anything you've never seen before is benign. Most particularly not something that says 'MARINES' on it."

PressureLine

• XFM Developer
  • Administrator
  • Experienced Member
    • View Profile
    • Rawbots Club Forums
Re: Autonomous Combat League - Force Arena
« Reply #91 on: April 09, 2016, 12:22:49 pm »
Just in case anyone missed it, I've completed a new large arena. You can find it here.

"Never assume that anything you've never seen before is benign. Most particularly not something that says 'MARINES' on it."

MarvinMan

• Automation Expert
  • Experienced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Autonomous Combat League
« Reply #92 on: April 09, 2016, 08:30:34 pm »
The new missile bots seem to be very effective, but appear to have trouble getting the launcher stable and properly aligned. In one case the RedEye got right up next to the Blizzard without being fired at, though it got vaporised as soon as it moved away a bit.

I'll make a new thread for ARL stuff so this one doesn't get too derailed. On a somewhat related note, the navigation system on my automated racing bot works surprisingly well in the bigger ACL maps without any difficult corners.

EDIT: ARL thread is up.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 09:00:13 pm by MarvinMan »

PressureLine

• XFM Developer
  • Administrator
  • Experienced Member
    • View Profile
    • Rawbots Club Forums
« Reply #93 on: April 09, 2016, 10:11:56 pm »
Yeah, I made some big changes to the code dealing with launch and detonation timing, which has made it a lot more effective.

PressureLine

• XFM Developer
  • Administrator
  • Experienced Member
    • View Profile
    • Rawbots Club Forums
« Reply #94 on: April 16, 2016, 11:16:54 am »
Well, made the version of RockSlide that I had originally intended to make, but it's nothing new really.

PressureLine

• XFM Developer
  • Administrator
  • Experienced Member
    • View Profile
    • Rawbots Club Forums
Re: Autonomous Combat League - FireBug
« Reply #95 on: April 21, 2016, 11:32:55 am »

FireBug

Weighing in at 50 parts, FireBug is a middleweight Plasma Shooter capable of tracking and engaging both ground based and aerial opponents.

Get FireBug here.

MarvinMan

• Automation Expert
  • Experienced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 21, 2016, 05:53:26 pm »
I've had a bit of a play with that and run a couple of 1v1 matches. It works, but it doesn't seem to have enough damage output to match the single turret bots. With higher output turrets or a laser for close range targets it should be very effective.

One thing I noticed was that a lot of the bots have their turrets at the same height, so they are prone to getting disarmed without taking much other damage, especially when the bots get close.

PressureLine

• XFM Developer
  • Administrator
  • Experienced Member
    • View Profile
    • Rawbots Club Forums
« Reply #97 on: April 21, 2016, 10:55:25 pm »
Yeah, the single-cannon turrets really don't have enough punch, although in the 1v1's I did it was always around 50/50 on win or lose. I consider FireBug to be more of a test-bed for the targetting and aiming systems anyway, and in that I consider it a success.

PressureLine

• XFM Developer
  • Administrator
  • Experienced Member
    • View Profile
    • Rawbots Club Forums
Re: Autonomous Combat League - MudSlide
« Reply #98 on: June 18, 2016, 12:18:06 pm »

MudSlide

Weighing in at 47 parts, MudSlide is a middleweight Plasma Shooter capable of tracking and engaging both ground based and aerial opponents.

Get MudSlide here.

MarvinMan

• Automation Expert
  • Experienced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 19, 2016, 11:52:32 am »
That could be one of the most effective combat bots so far. The armour con tank a lot of damage and the redundancy in the turret helps it stay in the game. The only problem I found with it was that it had a bit of trouble with getting stuck on the small steps where ramp pieces don't fit together properly on corners.

PressureLine

• XFM Developer
  • Administrator
  • Experienced Member
    • View Profile
    • Rawbots Club Forums
« Reply #100 on: June 19, 2016, 12:38:16 pm »
Yeah, I'm really happy with it. I really didn't think that the third cannon would make so much difference compared to RockSlide (although the larger chassis helps a bit with stability and such as well) in terms of effectiveness.

And for my next trick:

Building on the relative success of FireBug, my as-yet unnamed triple-turreted beast (no partcount yet either, hopefully it fits within the rules :D [edit: Only just! 75 parts]) is awakening!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 01:58:18 pm by PressureLine »

MarvinMan

• Automation Expert
  • Experienced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 19, 2016, 12:56:22 pm »
What's the ground clearance like on that? It looks like it would have a lot of trouble with ramps.

I wonder if it is more effective to have multiple independent turrets or to aim everything at one target at a time?

PressureLine

• XFM Developer
  • Administrator
  • Experienced Member
    • View Profile
    • Rawbots Club Forums
« Reply #102 on: June 19, 2016, 01:10:24 pm »
Ground clearance should be comparable to RockSlide and MudSlide, in the shot posted above the chassis is just sitting on the ground 8)

MarvinMan

• Automation Expert
  • Experienced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 19, 2016, 06:36:17 pm »
Cool.

I might have a go at putting a basic collision avoidance system on a quadrotor later, seeing the recent pickup in interest in ACL. Hopefully I can get away with parking directly above the target and raining fire (or grenades) down on it without any real need for aim or a movable turret.

PressureLine

• XFM Developer
  • Administrator
  • Experienced Member
    • View Profile
    • Rawbots Club Forums
« Reply #104 on: June 20, 2016, 08:18:40 am »
I've considered doing a rotor-based flyer, but durability is an issue for me.