Author Topic: Map related info/question.  (Read 555 times)

z26

• Experienced Member
    • View Profile
Map related info/question.
« on: March 17, 2016, 02:10:47 am »
Hi! I'm making this topic because I again forgot what are the pillars and big plates named and wanted to ask, but also because the working of map files in Rawbots isn't well documented so I'm setting myself (and others) a place to document that in the future.  Right now, I don't have much to say, except from this (i'll have to format this better later)

Gravity of planets and cores varies in the shape of a parabola, at the center it = 0, it then increases in strength when going farther to the center until it reaches the apex where it equals 10 (the height of the apex is determined by the size attribute of the planet or core) then decreases to 0 at twice the distance than the apex.  This can be abused to make planets with low surface gravity but high escape velocity   Make a gravity less planet (actually a spherical mosaic of terrain hexagons)  Then put at the center one or more cores of a larger gravity radius than the planet itself.

There exists a large version of the earth hexes called hex_earth that are 4 times the size of a normal hex.  Sadly, only the earth type is available.

The gravity of the non-planet maps is provided by cores.  They look like this.

The sides of the core can be individually toggled to glow.  Glowing cores automatically spawn a hex above them that cannot be deleted.

The map files of rawbots are actually gzip compressed files, therefore you need to open them with a program like 7-zip first before editing them with a text editor.

To add a passcode, unzip the desired map/blueprint then open the file with a text editor.  Add this to the desired part/code hex without the parentheses:
(name)@(number) . passcode #0000
the passcode must be a four digits number.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 03:28:58 am by z26 »

PressureLine

• XFM Developer
  • Administrator
  • Experienced Member
    • View Profile
    • Rawbots Club Forums
Re: Map related info/question.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 03:28:25 am »
The platform pieces are hex_plat, can't remember what the pillars are called (might just be hex_pillar) the platforms are the same size as the large-size hex_earth, but only 2 units (1 continuum) thick. The pillars are sized so that 1x pillar + 1x platform is the same height as an earth hex.

There exists a large version of the earth hexes called large_hex_earth that are 4 times the size of a normal hex.  Sadly, only the earth type is available.

I believe the 'large' (original) earth hex is hex_earth (with the 'normal' sized ones being small_hex_blah). There is also a ramp piece in the large size: hex_earth_ramp.

The sides of the core can be individually toggled to glow.  Glowing cores automatically spawn a hex above them that cannot be deleted.

You just need to edit the 'permissions' (by hand in the map file, you might be able to do it ingame, not 100% sure) of the hexes, search for permissions values that are not '31'
"Never assume that anything you've never seen before is benign. Most particularly not something that says 'MARINES' on it."

z26

• Experienced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 05:26:19 am »
Thanks!

"I believe the 'large' (original) earth hex is hex_earth (with the 'normal' sized ones being small_hex_blah). There is also a ramp piece in the large size: hex_earth_ramp."

Whoops! My mistake.  Edited.

"You just need to edit the 'permissions' (by hand in the map file, you might be able to do it ingame, not 100% sure) of the hexes, search for permissions values that are not '31'"

The default permission is 15, but even if you change this if you delete the hexes, the core will detect you removed them and sneakily respawn them next save.

"The platform pieces are hex_plat, can't remember what the pillars are called (might just be hex_pillar) the platforms are the same size as the large-size hex_earth, but only 2 units (1 continuum) thick. The pillars are sized so that 1x pillar + 1x platform is the same height as an earth hex."

Thanks man!  I've tested this and while the pillar doesn't work, the platform does.  Its funny, it can be selected in the code editor and you can't spawn parts on it.  Also, seems like the only field an xform needs to be valid is "whatever as xform".  No need for position information.

Still don't know what the "slot" thing is about.  I'm getting to understand terrain fine, but I havent studied structures and operands yet.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 05:27:57 am by z26000 »

PressureLine

• XFM Developer
  • Administrator
  • Experienced Member
    • View Profile
    • Rawbots Club Forums
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 07:17:23 am »
It's hex_column for the uhh... columns. in terms of slots and ground pieces, its all about where you can spawn additional hexes (and maybe for hooks and energy bridges too? not sure)
"Never assume that anything you've never seen before is benign. Most particularly not something that says 'MARINES' on it."

z26

• Experienced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 11:31:39 pm »
Ohh... so the big hex ramps are a completely unique shape!

The hexes are 10.5 units thick.  The following is approximate: the sides are 11.7321 units long, the shortest line that goes through the center is 20.32051 units long and the diameter (longest) is 23,4641 units long.

There are three types of slopes I know of: small_hex_ramp, small_hex_half_ramp and small_hex_truncated_ramp.  The water and grass hexes cannot be sloped at all.  while the earth hexes can be sloped, they are particular in that the sloped texture is different than the normal texture.  The half ramps have the unique characteristic of having 2 60 degrees angles (instead of 120).  Thats going to be useful to make acute angles and straight borders.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 04:34:36 am by z26000 »

cupid_the_conqueror

• Global Moderator
  • Experienced Member
  • A filthy casual
    • View Profile
    • the truth of rawbots
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 01:28:40 pm »
hey while we have a discussion about maps going on. How would I go about generating  a map with a single spherical body about 5-7x the diameter of the largest planet on stardust? I need a really big planet for my ginormous planes to fly on
At the end of the day, love conquerors all.

Doctor Virus

• Welcome to Volce.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 03:14:35 pm »
I'm with cupid on the huge planet thing. My shark needs plenty of swimming space along with lots of land for my H-Ship and V-Ship
Currently looking for a Volce logo

MarvinMan

• Automation Expert
  • Experienced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 03:20:04 pm »
Here's a copy of the planet generator that Pressureline made.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2i2n6hxkl6fydbu/Moon%20Generator.xls?dl=0

You should be able to copy the generated output into a save file. Big planets do weird things, as the position the surface is rendered at can be different to what the physics engine sees, leading to bots sinking into the ground.

cupid_the_conqueror

• Global Moderator
  • Experienced Member
  • A filthy casual
    • View Profile
    • the truth of rawbots
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2016, 12:24:30 am »
thanks Marvin! I was searching for that but couldn't find it :P

cupid_the_conqueror

• Global Moderator
  • Experienced Member
  • A filthy casual
    • View Profile
    • the truth of rawbots
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2016, 05:59:53 am »
okay, downloaded that and taken a look at it.... How does it work? do I just change the values I want then copy pasta into the save?

EDIT: yea that is totally how it works. Just open the file with 7zip then modify it with notepad++

EDIT2: ohh yea, big planets are super icky
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 07:28:57 am by PressureLine »

PressureLine

• XFM Developer
  • Administrator
  • Experienced Member
    • View Profile
    • Rawbots Club Forums
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2016, 07:29:25 am »
Yeah, you don't really want to go much bigger than 3000 with the planets.