Rawbots General > Development

Reboot

<< < (2/3) > >>

Bonfi96:
I love to know that we'll hear more often about the development process.
I wonder, do you guys think this has anything to do with the new joints? Obviously they are not that floaty

PressureLine:

--- Quote from: MarvinMan on February 03, 2017, 06:17:46 pm ---Perhaps the custom wheel physics is to deal with how wheels start to skip over the surface at high speed or tend to dig in when steering at speed. I assume the wheel physics model is built from polygons rather than being treated as a perfect cylinder, so the custom physics could be to smooth over that so bots don't effectively have square wheels.
--- End quote ---

Quite the opposite usually. A perfect cylinder is used for several reasons: the obvious 'square wheels' thing, plus in most physics sim engines, there are pre-defined shapes (spheres, cylinders, 'capsules' [a cylinder with hemispherical endcaps] and cubes) that are far more efficient than arbitrary polygonal shapes because they can (and do!) have various speedups built in to the engine.

MarvinMan:
That's interesting. I'd always assumed physics engines used the same models as the graphics rendering or an even coarser approximation.

I wonder when we'll see some of the other parts? The few we've seen so far are looking good, so it'll be interesting to see how some of the other parts like jets and fins come out.

Bonfi96:
Cylinders are quite performance heavy for dynamic collisions, that's why they are often consideres as convex meshes instead, ue4 uses physx and there's no shape for a cylinder. Though it has a wheel collider that I'm pretty sure is considered as a circe as the math for that is way easier.
But we have rozgo and he writes custom stuff for us, so no idea on what rawbots uses.
As the wheels are wide, maybe he used a combination of both, a wheel collider and a simpler convex collider, the first one for the smooth riding, the second one for object collisions.

I won't sleep tonight thinking about wheel colliders, I want answers  ;D

rozgo:
This is also happening... mod-building and VR editing... custom editor, construction and runtime blueprints.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version