Author Topic: WE HAVE THE SOURCE CODE - and the story of Rawbots.  (Read 393 times)

cupid_the_conqueror

• Administrator
  • Experienced Member
  • A filthy casual
    • View Profile
    • the truth of rawbots
WE HAVE THE SOURCE CODE - and the story of Rawbots.
« on: March 05, 2019, 11:58:05 pm »
Hello everybody let me get started with the most impressive news, and then I'll get to the details of how this came to pass.

First of, several members of this community have been given the source code by an anonymous user. We have almost no skill when it comes to unity, but we are working on modding the current game release to be more stable and to document how the game actually works for future use. We have alot of passion for rawbots and we believe we can make the game better even with our limited skill.

Second order of business, the forum is not going down. I have extended the domain for another year, I will remove the old post shortly after releasing this.

Story time!
Spoiler: show

ONCE APON A TIME. Our lead creative design Alex Rozgo got the idea for a robot building sandbox adventure game. After whipping on some concept art and pitching the game around, he quickly attracted the attention of Neil Haran, who fell in love with the concept game he saw and would be the lead financier of the project. In 2011 Inearth studios was commissioned to create the rawbots demo that was shown to investors, this is the rawbots we know today.  In 2012, the team tried to raise money via kickstarter and was unsuccessful. Development of rawbots was a complete mess as new systems and utilities were added due to their "coolness" and not their functionality. Nobody on the development team knew the assets very well and they quickly started treading water trying to stay afloat. With the failure of the kickstarter combined with the difficulties in development due to poor decisions he himself had made, the "Dynamic Systems Engineer" Alex Rozgo decided that rawbots wasn't worth perusing. This lead to Alex using the funds to create a Clash of clans mobile knockoff instead - Fraud ofcourse-, Alex then moved the money that had been raised for rawbots development into a company called Beyond Games, and created his mobile game there.

**** DISCLAIMER****
Now the road to hell is paved with good intentions, and its not clear if this was malevolence or misguided good will. Perhaps Alex thought making a hit mobile game would shore up funds for rawbots, a project that was essentially his brain child, or if he had become disillusioned and disheartened enough to betray the investors and players. We can only read about the outcomes of his poor choices. And while without a doubt Alex Rozgo is in-fact the villain of this tale, I do not encourage or endorse any doxxing or other unethical forms of vigilantism. We all think we would do better, but nobody knows what they are capable of until their back is pressed up against the wall.

****DISCLAIMER**

Neil caught wind of this, and sued beyond games. In response, Alex rozgo was let go from the company, but still maintained control of the rawbots source code due to being the lead "Dynamic System Engineer" at the time of rawbots development. Apparently, Neil and Alex came to some kind of agreement to continue the development of rawbots. This is when we saw the Unreal Engine port of rawbots that appears on these here forums. But much later it was revealed that this was a scam, and what was shown was just pre-made assets with a hardcoded "rover" behaviour slapped on, maybe 1-2 hours worth of work. Alex worked very hard to keep Neil in the dark, allowing him to pocket Neil's money without doing any work.

As time pasted, and it was clear no development was happening , we made the decision to close down the forums. This is when RICK a former employee of Alex Rozgo, reached out to us offering the source code and insight into the internal development struggles and Frauds of Alex Rozgo. Including ridiculous re-builds on projects, shovel-ware games, and non-payment of employees. RICK was cautious about handing the source code over to us, because he was worried about legal action from Alex Rozgo. But before RICK could deliver the source code to us, an anonymous user contacted us and gave us the source. This user had an older copy of the source code (I personally suspect that this is the copy that Alex has, I do not believe he did any work on the project past the original tech demo) Which he gave to us the community.

The current decision from the community is to keep "development" in house for some time to see what we can do, and to go fully open source if we hit a deadwall and can't make progress. Our current goal is to get rawbots documented and Improve the physics within 4 months, if we can't meet this deadline we will be going open.

This is why we were left in the dark for so many years, And this is why, Rawbots will never be a commercial product. For all the people who paid for this game, and were betrayed by Alex, we will be releasing our modded source game updates for free as we make them.

I hope this brings you closure as to the events that transpired with this game, as I feel you all deserve to know. Rawbots had HUGE potential when it was released, and everybody in this community saw that. Now that we have the source code, we can begin the long journey of making this game into what we all believed it could be - our robot building sandbox adventure.

these are still the early days, we haven't even compiled our gitlab repository yet. And while I encourage you all to take this news with a grain of salt, I believe the passion of our community members will be enough to give us a playable game, even if its not the perfection we all craved when we first saw rawbots.

If you want more information, join us on the official discord. https://discord.gg/NH8D8U

thank you.

[edit, the repo is up! ;D.... time to learn unity  :'( ]

TLDR : Indie studios are corrupt, crazy illegal shit happened with rawbots, thats why we don't have much more then a tech demo, and why we never got any real updates. But we are going to start modding the game because we love it. and with the love of the community we can make the robot building adventure game we've always wanted.

TLDR2: "Got a full bottle of sauce. Modding the living daylights out of it. Forum staying up. Stay calm and make Rawbots!"
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 10:32:56 am by cupid_the_conqueror »
At the end of the day, love conquerors all.